If you possess an old aluminum boat and would like to repaint it, most likely you will need to remove old paint first. This can potentially be a messy job. Here are some easy tips for removing paint from an aluminum boat according to Will Carpenter over at eHow.com.
Tips for paint removal
- Park your boat on top of a surface such as a tarp or sheet.
- Purchase a paint stripper to apply to your boat. After applied, allow to set for up to 15 minutes.
- Remove the stripper as soon as the 15 minutes is up or less with a water hose. Be sure to use clean water when completing this task.
- Use a palm sander to touch up stops that weren’t easily removed. (220 grain sandpaper is recommended)
- Properly dispose all paint chips, etc. with the sheet or tarp used to catch all of the paint mess.
*Be sure to check out Will’s tips and warnings when it comes to removing paint from your aluminum boat.
These are excellent tips and ones that I will use when we purchase our first boat some day down the road.
Image: Wikimedia Commons