Florida is a harsh environment. Water, algae and other organic material can build up on the exterior of your home. Decks (and fences) can be particularly hard hit as they are exposed to wear and tear as well as direct sunlight and water build up.
If you’ve ever had to replace your deck – you know it can be more expensive than it seems. Homeadvisor.com recently published this cost information:
There are a few things you can do to greatly increase the lifespan of your deck
- Keep the decking clear of pine needles, leaves, and other organic material
- Periodically have your deck pressure washed and refinished
- Make sure moisture isn’t building up underneath plants or mats which might be on your deck
- Cut back vegetation from around the deck
- Look for cracking and areas of rot, mold or algae