Shew fly don’t bother me! Though this is a popular kids book and song, it is so the truth isn’t it? Especially when it comes to those pesky things in our homes.
If you have a older home, most likely you are dealing with a fly problem more so than newer homes. How can they be dealt with and properly? Here are a few tips that you could start with first, even if you have a newer home:
- Do away with potted plants
- Make sure your trash is tight and secure with trash lids
- Use a fly strip/paper
- Use a fly curtain
- Purchase citronella oil and candles
- Believe it or not crushed mint around the house in bowls and baggies keep flies away
- Check your fly-screens
- DIY flytraps
- Hanging sandwich bags with water repels flies. It is said they perceive it as a large body of water or the magnified reflection scares them away. Basically a number of optical illusions keep the flies away.
For older homes other ways include but are not limited to:
- Sealing entrance ways and windows or other areas helps tremendously, especially if you know where they are getting in.
- Make sure your home is always clean if possible. Yeah I know this is a stretch especially if you have children but rooms like the kitchen where food is exposed draws the flies in droves.
Image: Wikimedia Commons
Sources: eHow and Green Living Tips